AASHE offers many services for its members, but none of them are more visible than the AASHE Conference & Expo. The conference helps fulfill AASHE’s mission to inspire and catalyze higher education to lead the global sustainability transformation. Proceeds from the conference are reinvested into our community by supporting AASHE programs and services. AASHE works throughout the year to build a supportive community that enables us to reach towards our vision for higher education to be a foundation for a thriving, equitable and ecologically healthy world.
Expected to draw approximately 2,000 participants, AASHE’s annual conference is the largest stage to share effective models, policies, research, collaborations and transformative actions which advance sustainability in higher education and surrounding communities.
2020 AASHE Conference & Expo Theme, “Mobilizing for a Just Transition”
Humanity faces a series of intensifying and interrelated social and ecological crises. Solving these crises requires a holistic transformation: a shift from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy. With a theme of “Mobilizing for a Just Transition,” the 2020 AASHE Conference & Expo will focus on centering justice within this transformation and ensuring that it leaves no one behind. We seek to encourage higher education sustainability leaders to reflect and act on the Just Transition Principles articulated by the Climate Justice Alliance and to spotlight inspirational examples of institutions championing this work.
AASHE 2020 will convene a diverse group of attendees including faculty, students, sustainability staff, administrators, business partners, nonprofit representatives, government officials and community members to examine:
- How can the higher education sustainability movement ensure the process of transitioning to sustainability on our campuses is just and equitable?
- How are we centering the voices of those most impacted by ecological and economic disruption in our work?
- How is higher education creating pathways to empower workers in the extractive economy to transition to dignified, secure, and sustainable livelihoods in the regenerative economy?
AASHE Conference & Expo convenes a diverse group of campus representatives including faculty, students, sustainability officers, staff and administrators together with business, nonprofit, government, community leaders and members.
- Senior campus administrators
- Procurement Officers
- Sustainability Directors
- Campus planners and other staff
- Facility Managers
- Administrators of system offices
- Campus faculty
- Sustainability officers
- Undergraduate students and graduate students
- Postdoctoral fellows
- Business managers and owners
- Environmental and energy-related government agencies
- Business sustainability directors and managers
- Construction project managers, builders and contractors
- Architects and designers
- Nonprofit professionals
- And more!
AASHE offers an exciting and unique opportunity for businesses, higher education institutions and non-profits to reach decision makers and demonstrate to colleges and universities how their products or services can lead the way to a sustainable future. Past exhibitors have come from the following industry sectors:
- Air & Climate
- Campus Engagement
- Coordination, Planning & Governance
- Dining Services
- Diversity & Affordability
- Health, Wellbeing & Work
- Public Engagement
Milwaukee, WI | Oct. 4 – 7
400 W Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53203
As a newer sustainability professional AASHE allowed me to experience the depth and breadth of the field and bring back knowledge and skills to succeed at my university. – John Brooker, Medical University of South Carolina