The Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education brings together sustainability leaders from around the world in a virtual format to share effective models, policies, research, collaborations and transformative actions that advance sustainability in higher education and surrounding communities.
Theme: The Future Is…
The failure of many entities to respond effectively to a deadly pandemic, coming at a time when society is already reeling from intensifying climate-related disasters, ongoing systemic racism and rising authoritarianism, has resulted in profound apprehension about the future. With a theme of “The future is…”, this year’s Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education reflects the uncertainty about the future that many feel and invites participants to recommit themselves to the urgent work of building a future that is sustainable, equitable, and resilient. We seek to highlight inspiring examples of higher education leadership that empower participants to envision and create such a future. Ultimately, the future is ours to make.
GCSHE will convene a diverse group of attendees including faculty, students, sustainability staff, administrators, business partners, nonprofit representatives, government officials and community members to examine:
- How does higher education need to change to effectively meet the grand challenges of our time?
- How can higher education institutions demonstrate the potential for a resilient, equitable, and sustainable future in the operation of their campuses?
- How can higher education support students and employees struggling with anxiety about the future and equip them to better navigate this future?
- How can higher education institutions help their communities prepare for future crises?
Virtual: The Way Forward
In 2020, AASHE’s Annual Conference & Expo moved to a virtual format and rebranded as the Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education (GCSHE). The move signaled AASHE’s commitment to achieving our sustainability goals to reduce the carbon footprint of the event and become a more inclusive space enabling professionals around the globe to participate in the virtual event. The first virtual event saw great success as noted in the graphic to the right.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is AASHE’s Virtual Conference?The Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education (GCSHE) will be held virtually on October 12 – 14, 2021.
- Where can I receive updates regarding AASHE’s Global Conference of Sustainability in Higher Education?
- Are scholarships available for those in need of financial assistance?Scholarships will be available and information will be updated here once we have finalized those details.
- Where can I get assistance with registration or any additional questions?With special rates for upper-income, middle-income and lower-income countries, we are proud to offer the most equitable and affordable rates for everyone through this year’s event!
If you need assistance with registration or have questions that have not been answered in the FAQs, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a newer sustainability professional AASHE allowed me to experience the depth and breadth of the field and bring back knowledge and skills to succeed at my university. – John Brooker, Medical University of South Carolina