The Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education brings together sustainability leaders from around the world in a virtual format to share effective models, policies, research, collaborations and transformative actions that advance sustainability in higher education and surrounding communities.
Theme: Mobilizing for a Just Transition
Humanity faces a series of intensifying and interrelated social and ecological crises. Solving these crises requires a holistic transformation: a shift from an extractive economy to a regenerative economy. With a theme of “Mobilizing for a Just Transition,” the Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education will focus on centering justice within this transformation and ensuring that it leaves no one behind. We seek to encourage higher education sustainability leaders to reflect and act on the Just Transition Principles articulated by the Climate Justice Alliance and to spotlight inspirational examples of institutions championing this work.
GCSHE will convene a diverse group of attendees including faculty, students, sustainability staff, administrators, business partners, nonprofit representatives, government officials and community members to examine:
- How can the higher education sustainability movement ensure the process of transitioning to sustainability on our campuses is just and equitable?
- How are we centering the voices of those most impacted by an ecological and economic disruption in our work?
- How is higher education creating pathways to empower workers in the extractive economy to transition to dignified, secure, and sustainable livelihoods in the regenerative economy?
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does the COVID-19 situation impact AASHE’s Virtual Conference?We recognize that the global pandemic we’re experiencing is creating intense challenges for most everyone, including those of us supporting sustainability in higher education. Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and restrictions for in-person events, AASHE has decided to move this year’s Conference & Expo to be 100% virtual. We believe this is the right decision for our community.
- When is AASHE’s Virtual Conference?The Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education (GCSHE) will be held on October 20 – 22, 2020.
- Where can I receive updates regarding AASHE’s Global Conference of Sustainability in Higher Education?
- Are scholarships available for those in need of financial assistance?Scholarships will be available and information will be updated here once we have finalized those details.
- Will there be volunteer opportunities available during the virtual conference?Yes, we will be accepting volunteer assistance in testing out the platform and helping to monitor/moderator our online sessions during the conference. To sign up, there is a question in registration where you can let us know you’re interested in volunteering. Or you can send us an email at email@example.com.
- Where can I get assistance with registration or any additional questions?With special rates for upper-income, middle-income and lower-income countries, we are proud to offer the most equitable and affordable rates for everyone through this year’s event!
If you need assistance with registration or have questions that have not been answered in the FAQs, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a newer sustainability professional AASHE allowed me to experience the depth and breadth of the field and bring back knowledge and skills to succeed at my university. – John Brooker, Medical University of South Carolina