Tertiary Education Sustainability Networks Make Progress Toward Creating a Global Alliance
The world's most prominent networks for sustainability in further and higher education convened 25 March 2015 at the UK-based Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges (EAUC) annual conference, this year organised at University of Leeds.
The tertiary education networks in attendance represent global and regional organizations from Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe and North America. Representatives agreed that we are more effective when we collaborate, and, in building a more collective voice, we can put our member universities, colleges and students at the heart of the international challenge to address sustainability. This meeting in Leeds represents the next step toward developing a global alliance, after the success of the collaborative work for Rio+20.
The overarching aim of the alliance is to connect sustainability networks in the tertiary education sector and provide a collective voice to contribute to global developments such as the Paris COP21 taking place in December 2015. Each network has a unique and valuable perspective to contribute. This global alliance will work in line with United Nation´s activities like UNEP's Global Universities Partnership on Environment and Sustainability (GUPES).
As this is a collaborative effort, other tertiary education peer groups are invited to join the dialogue and contribute toward a shared vision, planned to be published in September 2015. Please contact GLOBALALLIANCEemail@example.com if you represent a sustainability network and want to be added to the discussion.
Networks and Representatives Participating in the Leeds Meeting, March 2015
- AISHE Network, NETHERLANDS, EUROPE, Niko Roorda, Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), NORTH AMERICA, www.aashe.org, Meghan Fay Zahniser, Executive Director for AASHE, email@example.com
- Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability (ACTS), AUSTRALASIA, www.acts.asn.au,
- Leanne Denby, President for ACTS, Director of Sustainability at Macquarie University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copernicus Alliance (European Network on Higher Education for Sustainable Development), www.copernicus-alliance.org and University Educators For Sustainable Development (UE4SD), EUROPE, www.ue4sd.eu, Clemens Mader, President CA, email@example.com and Daniella Tilbury, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ecocampus Belgium, EUROPE, ecocampus.lne.be, Peter Schildermans, email@example.com
- Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC), UK, EUROPE, www.eauc.org.uk, Iain Patton, Chief Executive of EAUC, firstname.lastname@example.org
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Global Universities Partnership on Environment and Sustainability (GUPES), GLOBAL, www.unep.org/training/programmes/gupes.asp, Mahesh Pradhan, Head of UNEP's Environmental Education and Training Unit, email@example.com
- Campus Responsables, FRANCE, EUROPE, www.campusresponsables.com, Pauline Pingusson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Sustainable Campus Network (ISCN), GLOBAL, www.international-sustainable-campus-network.org, Zena Harris, Manager, Operations and Communications, email@example.com
- EMSU and International Journal of Cleaner Production, GLOBAL, www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-cleaner-production/, Don Huising, firstname.lastname@example.org, Rodrigo Lozano, email@example.com
- Mainstreaming Environment and Sustainability in Africa - MESA, AFRICA, www.unep.org/training/mesa_conf/, Gitile Naituli, Chair of MESA, Commissioner at NCIC & Professor of Management at Multimedia University of Kenya, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nordic Sustainable Campus Network (NSCN), NORDICS, EUROPE, nordicsustainablecampusnetwork.wordpress.com, Meri Löyttyniemi, Chair of NSCN, Sustainability Manager, Aalto University, FI, email@example.com
- Regional University Consortium Asia Pacific, ASIA, unep-iesd.tongji.edu.cn, Li Fengting, Associate Dean, UNEP-Tongji Institute of Environment for Sustainable Development, Professor, Tongji University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- rootAbility, EUROPE, www.rootability.com, Felix Spira, Co-founder and Executive Director, email@example.com
- Higher Education Sustainability Initiative (HESI), GLOBAL, sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdinaction/hesi, www.sustainabilitytest.org, Jean-Christophe Carteron, Kedge Business School, France, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Sustainability Network (CAS-Net), JAPAN, ASIA, www.esho.kyoto-u.ac.jp, Takayuki Nakamura, Executive Director of CAS-Net, email@example.com
- UK Youth Climate Coalition, EUROPE, www.ukycc.org, Louisa Casson, Co-director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Union of Students, UK, EUROPE, www.nus.org.uk, Jamie Agombar, Head of Sustainability, email@example.com
- Studenten voor Morgen (Students for Tomorrow), NETHERLANDS, EUROPE, www.studentenvoormorgen.nl, Mart Lubben, Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alianza de Redes Iberoamericanas de Universidades por la Sustentabilidad y el Ambiente, ARIUSA, SOUTH AMERICA, http://ariusa.net/, Orlando Sáenz, email@example.com
Dec 14 2016Dec 13 2016Dec 7 2016Oct 24 2016Oct 10 2016Sep 27 2016Sep 21 2016