Held every October, Campus Sustainability Month is an international celebration of sustainability in higher education. Throughout the month, colleges and universities organize events on campus and elsewhere to engage and inspire incoming students and other campus stakeholders to become sustainability change agents. These events include teach-ins, sustainability pledge drives, zero-energy concerts, waste audits, green sporting events, letter writing campaigns, service projects and much more!
The goal of CSM is to raise the visibility of campus sustainability and provide campus sustainability advocates with a platform through which to deepen campus engagement around sustainability. It provides an excellent opportunity to recruit new leaders and set goals for the rest of the year. It serves as a complement to Earth Day, which is held April 22 each year, and is often a time for celebration and recognition of the good work that took place over the course of the academic year.
How You Can Participate
- Conserve water by taking Colgate’s #EveryDropCounts pledge as we focus on water conservation efforts this Campus Sustainability Month.
- View the 2017 Campus Sustainability Month Kick-Off Webinar Archive – Check out this webinar to gain ideas and inspiration for how you can leverage CSM to engage and inspire incoming students and other campus stakeholders to become sustainability leaders. Note: Archived webinars are only available to members.
- Develop a schedule of events for your campus – Campus Sustainability Month activities can include announcements of new sustainability commitments, award ceremonies, tree plantings, teach-ins, conferences, nature walks, green product showcases, sustainability competitions, power plant tours or information fairs. There are several engagement opportunities in October that you may wish to incorporate in your plans, including:
- Movie Screening Opportunity – AASHE and Bullfrog Films are offering institutions the opportunity to screen one of four movies in October for the discounted rate of $85 (normally $100+) or purchase the DVD with a 15 percent discount. Take advantage of this opportunity!
- Share your plans and promote Campus Sustainability Month – Tell us what you have planned for CSM and use #CampusSustainabilityMonth to share your successes via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Use our promotional toolkit to get the word out about your institution’s participation.
Campus Sustainability Month grew out of Campus Sustainability Day, which was first organized in October 2003 by the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) and has typically been celebrated on the fourth Wednesday in October. From 2003-2010, SCUP led the production of an annual anchor webcast on CSD that was intended to incite conversation and analysis of the campus sustainability movement. The webcast was co-produced and live streamed with The New York Times Knowledge Network from 2008-2010. In 2011, a team of organizations and partners came together to more broadly engage the higher education community in CSD through the creation of a website for sharing events and conversations hosted by AASHE, and continuing an expanded anchor webcast hosted by Second Nature. In 2015, in recognition of the growth of the campus sustainability community since 2003 and with the support of a variety of CSD partner organizations, AASHE expanded on the CSD concept to create Campus Sustainability Month.