Mission, Vision and Goals
AASHE’s mission is to inspire and catalyze higher education to lead the global sustainability transformation.
AASHE will lead higher education to be a foundation for a thriving, equitable and ecologically healthy world.
Transparency, Collaboration, Hope, Stewardship, Innovation, Courage, Accountability, Diversity.
Our Value Proposition
AASHE empowers higher education faculty, administrators, staff and students to be effective change agents and drivers of sustainability innovation. AASHE enables members to translate information into action by offering essential resources and professional development to a diverse, engaged community of sustainability leaders. We work with and for higher education to ensure that our world’s future leaders are motivated and equipped to solve sustainability challenges.
Our Strategic Goals (through 2017)
Goal 1: Grow AASHE's membership to include at least 1,200 actively engaged colleges and universities, NGOs, government partners, and businesses
- Actively recruit new members
- Enhance member value proposition
- Enhance communications and outreach to members
- Help new members become a part of the AASHE community and get the most out of their membership
- Engage members meaningfully in AASHE decision-making and demonstrate responsiveness to member feedback
- Provide excellent customer service
- Increase awareness and affinity for the AASHE brand
Goal 2: Empower members with indispensable resources to advance higher education sustainability
- Enable members to more easily access, interpret, and act on unique and valuable data
- Allow users to collaborate and share information through online tools
- Increase readership of the AASHE Bulletin
- Develop new, high-quality tools and publications
Goal 3: Catalyze sustainability leadership in higher education through increased visibility and recognition
- Enhance the ease and value of participating in STARS
- Raise the profile of AASHE's awards program
- Generate positive publicity for higher education sustainability
- Mobilize government support for higher education sustainability
Goal 4: Connect campus stakeholders with the training and professional development they need to be leaders for sustainability
- Increase participation in AASHE's annual conference
- Organize unique, high value professional development programs with a special focus on faculty development
- Increase member access to relevant training and professional development through partnerships with other educational providers
Goal 5: Strengthen AASHE's organizational capacity
- Increase net income
- Support the growth and development of AASHE’s personnel
- Leverage partnerships to expand AASHE’s impact
- Upgrade AASHE’s information technology infrastructure
- Optimize AASHE's board governance
- Model sustainability across AASHE operations
AASHE defines sustainability in an inclusive way, encompassing human and ecological health, social justice, secure livelihoods and a better world for all generations.