This award recognizes published and unpublished research that contributes to the advancement of higher education sustainability. One award will be given in the first two categories, and four awards will be given in the published journal article category (Academics, Engagement, Operations, and Planning and Administration):
- Unpublished undergraduate research
- Unpublished graduate research
- Published journal article
Authors can apply for a Campus Sustainability Research Award by submitting research to AASHE’s Campus Sustainability Hub. Note that you will need to login in order to submit to the Hub. Published journal article submissions will be placed into their respective award category based on the sustainability topic that is selected on the submission form (e.g., a submission with a sustainability topic of Curriculum will be considered for the Academics Award).
Submissions for the 2018 AASHE Sustainability Awards have now closed. Any submissions received now will be considered for the 2019 AASHE Sustainability Awards. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Award winners receive:
- One complimentary pass to AASHE’s annual conference
- Recognition during the conference’s Opening Ceremony
- Opportunity to present your winning case study at the conference
- Opportunity to present your winning submission via an AASHE webinar
- One plaque from Rivanna Natural Designs
- Recognition in Sustainability: The Journal of Record
Applications will be evaluated by a panel of judges on the following criteria:
- Applicability – For what proportion of higher education institutions is the research relevant?
- Impact – How significantly can the lessons from the research contribute to improved sustainability performance?
- Methodology – Is the research methodology appropriate to answer the research question?
- Clarity and coherence – How easy is it to understand the research?
To be considered for a Campus Sustainability Research Award, submissions must be in English. Papers must have been completed (in the case of unpublished student research) or published within the 12 months prior to the application deadline. Students who graduated within this period are still eligible for the student awards. Authors do not have to be associated with an AASHE member organization.