This award honors students, student teams and/or student organizations from higher education who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in promoting sustainability on campus. One award is given annually.
Students can apply for a Student Sustainability Leadership Award by submitting a case study of their project to AASHE’s Campus Sustainability Hub. You will need to login to the Hub with an AASHE Account in order to submit.
Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis and are due on the last Friday in May. Submissions received after the last Friday in May will be considered for the next award season. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Last Friday in May
|May – July
|Submitters/Nominators Notified. Finalists Announced.
|Winners Notified and Announced
Award winners receive:
- Recognition via a live virtual awards ceremony
- One complimentary pass to AASHE’s annual conference
- One plaque provided by Rivanna Natural Designs
Applications will be evaluated by a panel of judges on the following criteria:
- Overall impact – How much of an impact did the project make?
- Innovation – To what extent is the project innovative?
- Replicability – To what extent is the project a model for others?
- Breadth of impact – Did the project advance sustainability in many dimensions or only one?
- Stakeholder Involvement – Did the project engage multiple campus stakeholders (students, faculty, staff, community members, etc.)?
- Racial equity and social justice – To what extent does the project reflect racial equity and social justice, and how significant is its potential contribution to racial equity and social justice?
- Clarity and coherence – How easy is it to follow the case study?
Any student(s) enrolled at an AASHE-member college or university is eligible for this award. Students who graduated within the 12 months prior to the application deadline are still eligible. The first author of the case study must be the student (or one from the team of students in the case of group projects) for whom the award is being considered.