Aug. 4 Discussion Series
Panelists discussed how Sustainability and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion managers need to work together, as well as the need to address how sustainability managers can elevate their status and have a seat at the table.
Aug. 11 Discussion Series
Panelists discussed how we can’t continue to package sustainability efforts in the same way, but rather that we need to include the lens of racial equity and social justice (RESJ).
Aug. 18 Discussion Series
Panelists discussed how the only way to eradicate racism is to do the personal work of becoming antiracist and leverage our voices. Anyone who is not willing to do the personal work of being an antiracist needs to be prepared to move out of the way.
Aug. 25 Discussion Recap
Panelists discussed and reflected on the three earlier sessions that explored racial equity, social justice and its intersection with sustainability. Open Q&A took place throughout the recap session.
Thank you to our panelists, in no particular order:
- V.S. (Raghu) Raghavan, Director of Sustainability, Associate Director at the Miller Worley Center for the Environment Mount Holyoke College
- Ariel Stevenson, M.A., Assistant Director of Programs and Initiatives at the Office of Inclusive Excellence for California State University-San Marcos
- Kimberly Lewis, Senior Vice President for Market Transformation and Development, North America at the U.S. Green Building Council
- Eriqah Vincent, Network Engagement Director at Power Shift Network
- Debbie Namugayi, Senior Consultant at RE Tech Advisors
- Shá Duncan Smith, Assistant Vice President and Dean of Inclusive Excellence and Community Development at Swarthmore College
- Terryl Ross, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the University of Washington
- Joy K. Polanco-O’Neil, Ph.D. Assistant Professor, Inaugural Director at the Educational Sustainability for University of Wisconsin Stevens Point
- Moderator: Kimberly Smith Director of Marketing, Meetings, and Membership Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- Moderator: Meghan Fay Zahniser Executive Director Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)