FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Andrea Huggins
Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
The latest publication recognizes the most sustainable institutions overall and in 17 sustainability impact areas.
November 9, 2020 (Philadelphia, PA) – The Sustainable Campus Index, an annual publication by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), recognizes top-performing colleges and universities overall and in 17 sustainability impact areas, as measured by the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS). The report also highlights innovative and high-impact initiatives from institutions that submitted STARS reports in the most recent calendar year.
Institutions that achieved the top spot overall according to institution type include:
- Associate Colleges – Nova Scotia Community College
- Baccalaureate Institutions – Colby College
- Master’s Institutions – Thompson Rivers University
- Doctoral Institutions – Colorado State University
Institutions that achieved the top spot in each sustainability topic area are listed below. The full list of top performers is provided in the report.
- Air & Climate – Arizona State University and Colby College (tie)
- Buildings – University of California, Merced
- Campus Engagement – Berea College, Cornell University, University of Connecticut (tie)
- Coordination & Planning – Thompson Rivers University and University of Alberta (tie)
- Curriculum – Colorado State University
- Diversity & Affordability – Stanford University
- Energy – Thompson Rivers University
- Food & Dining – University of Winnipeg
- Grounds – Cascadia College, Chatham University, George Washington University(tie)
- Investment & Finance – Arizona State University
- Public Engagement – University of Connecticut
- Purchasing – Dalhousie University
- Research – Binghamton University; Florida State University; University of California, Irvine; University of California, Merced; University of California, San Diego (tie)
- Transportation – Columbia University
- Waste – Nova Scotia Community College
- Water – Colorado College, San Francisco State University, University of Connecticut (tie)
- Wellbeing & Work – University of Massachusetts Lowell
“The Sustainable Campus Index uplifts stories and achievements from campuses throughout the world that are working to create a more just and equitable society,” said AASHE’s Executive Director Meghan Fay Zahniser. “I’m honored to celebrate the accomplishments of these institutions and am hopeful their leadership sets an example that many will follow.”
STARS is a transparent, self-reporting framework developed by AASHE for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance. With over 1,000 participating institutions, STARS is the leading tool for measuring higher education sustainability performance. All reports are publicly accessible on the STARS website.
AASHE empowers higher education administrators, faculty, staff and students to be effective change agents and drivers of sustainability innovation. AASHE enables members to translate information into action by offering essential resources and professional development to a diverse, engaged community of sustainability leaders. We work with and for higher education to ensure that our world’s future leaders are motivated and equipped to solve sustainability challenges. For more information, visit www.aashe.org. Follow AASHE on Facebook and Twitter.