Held every October, Campus Sustainability Month is an international celebration of sustainability in higher education. Throughout the month, colleges and universities organize events on campus and elsewhere to engage and inspire incoming students and other campus stakeholders to become sustainability change agents. These events include teach-ins, sustainability pledge drives, zero-energy concerts, waste audits, green sporting events, letter-writing campaigns, service projects and much more!
The goal of CSM is to raise the visibility of campus sustainability and provide campus sustainability advocates with a platform through which to deepen campus engagement around sustainability. It provides an excellent opportunity to recruit new leaders and set goals for the rest of the year. It serves as a complement to Earth Day, which is held each year in April, and is often a time for celebration and recognition of the good work that took place over the course of the academic year.
How You Can Participate
- Watch Past Campus Sustainability Month Webinars – Find tools, tips, tactics and ideas that you can bring to your institution to celebrate Campus Sustainability Month by watching one of the past webinars.
- Develop a schedule of events for your campus – Campus Sustainability Month activities can include announcements of new sustainability commitments, award ceremonies, tree plantings, teach-ins, conferences, nature walks, green product showcases, sustainability competitions, power plant tours or information fairs. There are several engagement opportunities in October that you may wish to incorporate in your plans, including:
- Project Green Challenge (Oct. 1 – 30)
- National Voter Education Week (Oct. 4 – 8)
- Energy Efficiency Day (Oct. 6)
- Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education (GCSHE) (Oct. 12 – 14)
- World Food Day (Oct. 16)
- Share your plans and promote Campus Sustainability Month – Tell us what you have planned for CSM and use #CampusSustainabilityMonth to share your successes via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Use our promotional toolkit to get the word out about your institution’s participation.