Dr. Tracey Osborne
Our students recognize the need for understanding complex systems and know that we won’t find the answers through siloed thinking. Due to its social and ecological complexity, climate change is particularly daunting. It’s the challenge of our lifetimes.
Tracey Osborne is Associate Professor and Presidential (endowed) Chair in the Management of Complex Systems Department at the University of California, Merced. She is also the founding director of the University of California Center for Climate Justice. Tracey’s research focuses on the social and political-economic dimensions of climate change mitigation in tropical forests and the role of Indigenous Peoples, the politics of climate finance, global environmental governance, and climate equity and justice. She has worked on these issues globally with extensive field experience in Mexico and the Amazon. Tracey’s work has been published in high-impact journals, and she has been invited to share her research internationally in academic and non-academic venues such as Conference of the Parties climate change meetings. She received her Ph.D. from the Energy and Resources Group at the University of California, Berkeley.
Inspired by a recent essay series entitled The Pedagogy of Transition: Educating for the Future We Want, Tracey, along with Dr. Madhavi Venkatesan and Dr. Stephen Sterling, will reflect on the shifts in educational policy and practice necessary to create a sustainable future.
Tracey Osborne addresses the topic of intersectionality in the climate crisis through a systems view. This talk was featured as the closing keynote speech at the TEDxGAIAjourney event of Oct 15th, 2020.
- Dr. Michael J. SorrellTuesday, Oct. 12, 10:00 a.m. ETPresident, Paul Quinn College
- Dina Gilio-WhitakerTuesday, Oct. 12, 4:00 p.m. ETLecturer, American Indian Studies, California State University at San Marcos
- Zamzam IbrahimWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETVice President, The European Students' Union (ESU)
- Chloe MaxminWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETMaine State Senator
- Daphne FriasWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETYouth Organizer
- Dr. Ian Haney LópezWednesday, Oct. 13, 4:00 p.m. ETChief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Public Law at the University of California, Berkeley
- Heather McGheeThursday, Oct. 14, 10:00 a.m. ETAuthor
- Dr. Stephen SterlingThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETEmeritus Professor of Sustainability Education, Plymouth University
- Dr. Madhavi VenkatesanThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETAssistant Teaching Professor of Economics, Northeastern University