Dr. Stephen Sterling
How should — and how can – education and learning be re-thought and re-configured to make a significant and central contribution to achieving a more sustainable and just world?
Dr. Stephen Sterling is Emeritus Professor of Sustainability Education at the Sustainable Earth Institute, University of Plymouth, UK. He has worked in environmental and sustainability education in the academic and NGO fields nationally and internationally for over four decades, including as a consultant and advisor on UNESCO’S Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) programmes, and as co-chair of the UNESCO-Japan Prize on ESD International Jury. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the Schumacher Institute, a Senior Fellow of the International Association of Universities (IAU) and a Fellow of the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC). His website is: www.sustainableeducation.co.uk
Inspired by a recent essay series entitled The Pedagogy of Transition: Educating for the Future We Want, Stephen, along with Dr. Madhavi Venkatesan and Dr. Tracey Osborne, will reflect on the shifts in educational policy and practice necessary to create a sustainable future.
Event by the Environmental and Sustainability Special Interest Group at CIES.
- Dr. Michael J. SorrellTuesday, Oct. 12, 10:00 a.m. ETPresident, Paul Quinn College
- Dina Gilio-WhitakerTuesday, Oct. 12, 4:00 p.m. ETLecturer, American Indian Studies, California State University at San Marcos
- Zamzam IbrahimWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETVice President, The European Students' Union (ESU)
- Chloe MaxminWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETMaine State Senator
- Daphne FriasWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETYouth Organizer
- Dr. Ian Haney LópezWednesday, Oct. 13, 4:00 p.m. ETChief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Public Law at the University of California, Berkeley
- Heather McGheeThursday, Oct. 14, 10:00 a.m. ETAuthor
- Dr. Tracey OsborneThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETDirector, UC Center for Climate Justice Associate Professor and UC Presidential Endowed Chair, Management of Complex Systems, UC Merced
- Dr. Madhavi VenkatesanThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETAssistant Teaching Professor of Economics, Northeastern University