Dr. Michael J. Sorrell
This is about creating a new version of higher education, having the ability to implement that vision and then be unapologetic advocates for people who don’t have advocates.
Named one of America’s 10 Most Innovative College Presidents, Dr. Michael J. Sorrell is pioneering the “New Urban College Model” as the President of Paul Quinn College. With a rallying cry of “WE Over Me,” and a mission to end poverty, Sorrell led a total transformation of the historically Black college in Dallas. Under his leadership, Paul Quinn has become nationally renowned for its innovative approach to serve the needs of under-resourced students and communities. Notably, one of Dr. Sorrell’s first moves as president was to convert the College’s football field into the WE over Me Farm, which provides fresh, healthy, affordable food options for its surrounding residents as well as hands-on educational experiences. Dr. Sorrell received a B.A. from Oberlin, a J.D. and M.A. in Public Policy from Duke University and an Ed.D from the University of Pennsylvania.
Drawing from his experiences at Paul Quinn, Dr. Sorrell will share a vision for a new model of higher education with poverty reduction as a core purpose.
Under Michael J. Sorrell’s leadership, Paul Quinn is experiencing one of the greatest turnarounds in the history of higher education and is regularly mentioned nationally as one of the most innovative schools in America. Numerous accomplishments at Paul Quinn include: winning the “2011 HBCU of the Year” and the “2012 HBCU Student Government Association of the Year”; being named a finalist for the President’s Higher Education Community Service Award; transforming the unused football field into the “WE over Me Farm”; and more.
- Dina Gilio-WhitakerTuesday, Oct. 12, 4:00 p.m. ETLecturer, American Indian Studies, California State University at San Marcos
- Zamzam IbrahimWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETVice President, The European Students' Union (ESU)
- Chloe MaxminWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETMaine State Senator
- Daphne FriasWednesday, Oct. 13, 10:00 a.m. ETYouth Organizer
- Dr. Ian Haney LópezWednesday, Oct. 13, 4:00 p.m. ETChief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Public Law at the University of California, Berkeley
- Heather McGheeThursday, Oct. 14, 10:00 a.m. ETAuthor
- Dr. Tracey OsborneThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETDirector, UC Center for Climate Justice Associate Professor and UC Presidential Endowed Chair, Management of Complex Systems, UC Merced
- Dr. Stephen SterlingThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETEmeritus Professor of Sustainability Education, Plymouth University
- Dr. Madhavi VenkatesanThursday, Oct. 14, 4:15 p.m. ETAssistant Teaching Professor of Economics, Northeastern University