We're better together. Let's grow our voice and grow the movement.
"The movement for equity and environmental sustainability comes as global conditions are changing dramatically and becoming more demanding. We are the first generation to live on earth to witness a doubling of population in our lifetime."
- Paul Hawken, Blessed Unrest
This Member-get-a-Member Challenge is focusing on recruiting businesses into the AASHE community! In this changing world, collectively as an association we are ensuring that people have an understanding of the interdependencies between environmental, social, and economic forces, and the skills and abilities to meet sustainability challenges. We know that the stronger we are as an association, the stronger our individual voices will be, and the stronger the higher education sustainability movement itself. We're better together. Let's grow our voice and grow the movement.
Business Members: Please reach out to your friends at other businesses and let them know about AASHE. By recruiting a fellow business you are helping advance sustainability, grow our network of experts, and show your leadership as a sustainability ambassador. In addition to recognition, see below for other cost-saving benefits of recruiting a business member.
Institutions: Do you know of a business that would add value to the AASHE network? By adding more dedicated businesses to our network you are helping increase procurement options for our community, enable more businesses to offer discounts to members, and show your leadership as a sustainability ambassador.
How the Challenge Works
- Please contact any business, nonprofit or institution colleague who you think should be part of the AASHE community. Please direct them to sign up for membership here. Email them the text in the template below, which includes all the information they need to join AASHE and give you credit for referring them.
- Once you successfully compel a new member to sign up, you will be rewarded with:
- the shared support of a growing sustainability community
- a fuller sustainability library with a $25 gift card to the AASHE 2014 bookstore (limited to the first 25 successful recruits!)
- an automatic entry (in your name) for the grand prize drawing to win a free registration + three nights of hotel to the AASHE 2014 Conference & Expo (a $1,200 value) OR 50% off an exhibit table (a $900 - $1,100 value) in Portland, Ore. (October 26-29)!
This challenge will run through March 31, 2014. (We will have another opportunity with a different grand prize starting April 1. Please look for announcements about the next grand prize in April.)
Please use the text below as a template when emailing someone about AASHE membership:
Dear [colleague name],
As an active member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) community, I am getting in touch to encourage you to check out the benefits of becoming a new AASHE member for your business. With AASHE in your corner as you work toward a prosperous, equitable, and ecologically healthy world, you will:
- Be a part of the AASHE community you will broaden your network among universities and colleges.
- Gain recognition for your sustainability-related products and services on a global scale.
- Market your products and services to and network with higher education decision makers on the largest higher education sustainability stage in North America at AASHE 2014 (discounts for members for attending, exhibiting and sponsoring).
- Be part of a supportive network of of people working to create a better world in the higher education context.
To find out more and join:
For more information and to join, please visit our AASHE membership page. I'm happy to share more about my experience with AASHE and how it has [furthered sustainability on my campus; connected me with higher education procurement decision-makers; etc.].
When signing up for AASHE membership, please make sure to fill out the Member-get-a-Member referral section and mention my name.
We're better together. Let's grow our voice and grow the movement!