The AASHE Conference & Expo brings together approximately 2,000 higher education sustainability leaders from around the globe. Each year we convene campus administrators, sustainability staff, students, faculty, businesses, media and many others to explore approximately 300 educational sessions, workshops, tours and keynote addresses to advance sustainability in higher education.
This year’s theme, Global Goals: Rising to the Challenge, will convene a diverse group of attendees including faculty, students, sustainability officers, administrators, business partners, nonprofit representatives, government officials and community members will examine the critical role of higher education in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Adopted by the world’s governments in September 2015, the 17 SDGs establish ambitious global targets to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all by 2030.
As a sustainability officer I could not have achieved the progress made to institutionalize sustainability at our University without the knowledge, resources and networking gained from the continuous years of attending AASHE conferences! The relationships alone, I have made during these conferences are everlasting and priceless! – Marianella Franklin, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
In talking with peers, supervisors and other potential funders about your possible attendance at the conference, we recommend you:
- Explain the value of developing relationships with colleagues at peer institutions to exchange ideas and learn from one another
- Articulate institutional or organizational goals and problems that you hope to solve by attending the conference
- Offer to share what you will learn at the conference with your campus and the surrounding community
Access a sample letter that you can use to send to your manager or supervisor.
Please let us know if additional resources or information would be helpful in making your case to attend the AASHE Conference & Expo.
Five Tips to Plan Your AASHE Budget
- Review registration options and make the best choice for yourself, your colleagues or students.
- Secure discounted hotel rooms by reserving your room through AASHE. (AASHE block hotel details will be shared this spring.)
- Research your travel options and book your flights early.
- Take advantage of the meals included in most registration options.
- Use public transportation as opposed to a taxi to save money and the environment! Additionally, consider allowing time to walk and enjoy the fresh air.