We’ve prepared some guidance and tips to help presenters feel prepared and excited to share their knowledge and experience with attendees.
Submit a Proposal (Poster or Networking Meeting)
- Visit AASHE’s Session Management Site to submit a proposal for a poster session or networking meeting by September 7, 2018.
- Find Submission Instructions on the Call for Proposals page.
- Review Presenter Policies and Procedures
After Your Proposal is Accepted
- RSVP to confirm your accepted presentation(s) by July 31.
- Once registration opens, register to attend the conference by August 20 to receive the presenter discount. All presenters must be registered by September 7, otherwise their sessions will be canceled. Please register using the link that was sent to you directly and is available in your presenter profile in My Presenter Ready Room.
- If necessary, make any edits to your session title and description by September 7. Session submitters can also make changes to session presenters by August 20.
- Post your bio and upload your headshot by September 7 for inclusion in the conference mobile app.
- As you prepare your presentation, think carefully about what you want the audience to take away from your session and try to structure your session to be most helpful to the audience. In particular, think about how attendees could learn from your experiences as they try to advance sustainability on their own campus.
- If you are an oral session presenter, prepare your presentation materials and load any slides on a thumbdrive. To minimize technical issues, bring both PowerPoint and PDF versions of your presentation.
- If you are a poster presenter, prepare your poster to be 48 inches wide x 36 inches tall. If necessary, alternative dimensions are acceptable as long as the poster is smaller than 48 inches x 48 inches. You are responsible for bringing your poster so you’ll also want to make plans to get it to the convention center. If you wish to mail your poster, you will need to send it to yourself at your hotel. Please check with your hotel for specific instructions about how to do this and for information about the cost (e.g., some have receiving fees).
- If you are showing a film as part of the Film Festival, prepare your film to be shown in 16:9 format. To minimize technical issues, plan to bring your film in mpeg format.
- Attendees will be able to access slides and other presentation materials via the mobile app. We encourage presenters to share their materials by uploading them through the Session Management Site in advance of the conference. This will also enable AASHE to post these materials in the Campus Sustainability Hub after the conference. If you prefer, you may wait until after your live presentation to share your materials.
At the Conference
- We strongly encourage you to familiarize yourself with the program overview and layout of the conference in order to arrive at your session on time. You can access session locations and maps within the mobile app.
- Each session room will be equipped with a PC laptop (with MS Office installed), screen, projector (standard 4:3 format), podium and microphone. Mac laptops and Mac adapters will not be provided. Use a USB drive to transfer your presentation to the laptop. You may not project from your own device.
- Each room will have a podium with a microphone, head table with one table microphone and three chairs behind it. Sessions with more than three presenters may move additional chairs from the audience seating area to the front as needed. Please be sure to return chairs and any other furniture to the correct place when your session is over.
- Recording of sessions or performances is prohibited without written consent from AASHE.
- You may visit the Speaker Ready Room during conference hours to test your presentation on our equipment and make sure everything is working.
- Arrive at your room at least 10 minutes before your presentation is scheduled to begin to test the equipment and get your presentation ready.
- If technology problems arise during your session, AASHE Program Staff or volunteers (wearing special AASHE Volunteer T-shirts) stationed near session rooms will be able to help locate AV support.
- Some sessions may have volunteer timekeepers, but please be prepared to monitor your start and end times to keep on the conference schedule.
- Speak slowly and loudly so everyone can hear you and face the audience as much as possible.
- If you would like to project video, screens are set up for 4:3 format. Please make sure that videos in your slides are embedded and also bring them along separately on your thumb drive.
- Using tape or other adhesives on the walls of the convention center is not allowed. Sticky notes are okay.
- Poster Installation: Hang your poster in the appropriate location on Tuesday, Oct. 2 between 12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. so that it will be visible during the opening reception on Tuesday evening. If you are unable to hang it during this time, please just be sure to do so before the start of the poster session on Wednesday afternoon. AASHE will provide push pins to hang your poster. Binder clips and scissors will also be available.
- Poster Organization: To enable people to find posters that are most likely to be of interest to them, posters are organized by topic area and then by presenter last name. Two posters will be displayed on each side of the poster board. A listing of all posters by presenters’ last name and a map showing the location of each poster will be sent closer to the conference.
- Poster Session: The poster session is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. New this year, the poster session will be divided in two parts to enable poster presenters to browse other posters:
- Presenters of odd-numbered posters are expected to stand with their poster from 2:30-3:30
- Presenters of even-numbered posters are expected to stand with their poster from 3:30-4:30.
- To enable attendees to move through the poster session more easily, chairs will not be provided for presenters.
- Handouts: You may bring handouts to accompany posters. However, there will be not be tables to put them on so you will need to either just hold these items in your hands or bring a pocket folder to hang on your poster board.
- Poster Removal: You may remove your posters on Thursday, Oct. 4, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. ET. All posters must be removed by 3:00 p.m. ET. Any posters not removed by that time will be taken down and recycled. Unfortunately, AASHE cannot store or be responsible for leftover posters.
Networking Meeting Facilitators
- Networking meetings are intended to encourage networking among attendees from the same region or with a common interest.
- Meetings should be highly interactive and typically do not include a formal presentation with slides.
- To prepare for a networking meeting, you may wish to develop a series of questions for group discussion. We also recommend activities that foster small-group discussion among attendees.