Local Community Market
For more information about this Campus Sustainability Day event, please contact the institution's event contact person as listed below.
In recognition of Campus Sustainability Day 2012, the Office of Campus Planning and Sustainability announces the University of Victoria’s first Local Community Market! The first market will take place on October 24th from 4 to 7pm in the Michele Pujol Room of the Student Union Building. With support from the UVSS, the UVic Sustainability Project, the School of Environmental Studies, and other interested campus and community members, the market is intended to serve a variety of purposes, including:
- Promote healthy eating by offering fresh, local and organically grown and locally produced food products
- Support the local economy of famers, food producers and artisans
- Provide education on healthy eating, sustainable agriculture, food security and indigenous food systems
- Build partnerships between campus groups, organizations and departments working on food, public health, public policy and climate change related issues
- Create a sense of community in a fun, festive atmosphere that celebrates the local harvest on southern Vancouver Island
In addition to offering fresh produce and other food and craft items for sale, students, staff, faculty and community members will be treated to live music, a pumpkin carving contest (with celebrity judges!), a raffle and other surprises. Join us and help celebrate Campus Sustainability Day!