Campus Sustainability Week
For more information about this Campus Sustainability Day event, please contact the institution's event contact person as listed below.
A variety of events are planned for the entire week surrounding Campus Sustainability Day. Come join us!
Tree Planting Event & Discussion
October 24th at 11am -12.
Meet in the Agriculture Building RM. 209 for a short lecture and then go across the street (Lincoln Ave.) to a small wooded area and plant two trees. Emily Hanson, who is a certified arborist, will explain what to do or not to do, and things to look out for - such as problems with roots - and how to fix those issues. For more information contact Jason Shirar, SIUC Forestry Dept., (309) 264-1522.
"Green Walls and Living Architecture"
Laurent Corradi of Vertical Gardens Technology LLC will speak to the SIU community at Guyon Auditorium of Morris Library, Monday Oct 29 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm with a reception immediately following in the Architecture Gallery on the first floor in Quigley.
Mr. Corradi will be assisting SIU in designing and installing its first- ever Green Wall October 24-29 in the the Agriculture Building! Together with his business partner Marie Christine Steffanetti, Laurent Corradi has created and patented a new technology that allows plants to grow vertically using a new technique in hydroponics automation. After the success of their first vegetative wall in the U.S., they decided to develop the concept for worldwide use for architects and interior designers. Their passion for live plant design and garden walls is evident in their works in hotels, theater, restaurants and commercials space in the U.S. and Canada. Working both as an engineer and an artistic designer on each project, Laurent and Marie Christine create unique pieces of art using living plant materials. SIU is thrilled to welcome Laurent and Marie Christine to our campus. This event is sponsored by: (1) Architecture Fine Arts Lecture Series, (2) SIU Sustainability Council and Green Fund, (3) Saluki First Year, and (4) College of Agricultural Sciences
Green Fund Project Proposals
This year, the SIU Green Fund Committee is accepting Green Fund Project Proposals until midnight on Campus Sustainability Day. These projects are funded by the Green Fee, a $10 per semester student fee that goes toward projects which advance sustainability on our campus.
- Advance sustainability on the SIU campus.
- Reduce SIU’s impact on the environment and improve society in one or more of the following areas: energy, water, waste, buildings, social equity, transportation, purchasing, grounds, food and dining, academics and research, and education and outreach.
- Have education, outreach, and research components.
- Have approval from relevant campus units (e.g., Department Chair, Director, Dean, Human Subjects Committee, etc.) prior to receiving funding.
- Proposals are not eligible to pay for faculty or staff salaries.
- Proposals submitted by students must have a faculty, staff, or RSO advisor.
Preference will be given to projects that:
- Have significant, lasting student involvement or leadership role(s).
- Are collaborative in nature, involving multiple units and departments.
- Are able to obtain matching funds.
- Clearly articulate the greatest benefit to the SIU community for the least cost.