The Board of Directors advises, governs, oversees policy and direction, and assists with the leadership and general promotion of AASHE so as to support the organization’s mission and needs. Serving as a Board member is both a challenging and rewarding volunteer task. While appointment or election to any Board is an honor, Board members have important legal and fiduciary responsibilities that require a commitment of time, skill and resources. Prospective Board members should make sure they can commit the time needed to participate effectively. Learn more about what it takes to become a Board member:
Applicants must be employees or students of a current member organization in good standing. Acceptance of an application does not guarantee the eligibility of a candidate. If, at a later point in time, a candidate is found to be ineligible, that candidate will be disqualified.
The Board of Directors seeks to represent the breadth of expertise supporting sustainability in higher education. It is important that Board members contribute sustainability and not-for-profit skills and experience to provide effective leadership. We seek skills and experience commensurate with the needs of the Board. Prospective members may be subject to reference and criminal record checks.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Strong commitment to sustainability in higher education
- Ability to think strategically
- Good understanding of sustainability trends in higher education industry
- Willingness to promote development of AASHE as a strong organization dedicated to sustainability in higher education
- Exhibit high standards of integrity, commitment and independence of thought and judgment
- Relevant operational or technical expertise (e.g., finance, audit, governance, sustainability, marketing, fund development, etc.)
- Recent experience as a Board member in a not-for-profit organization
- Business-related background
- Executive administration background
Two positions are open. Applications are being accepted through Oct. 23.
Schedule & Process
Call for applications launches
Board election – member voting opens
Board election – member voting closes
New Board members affirmed, Board makes additional appointments
New Board members announced
New Board members assume duties